Monday, July 14, 2014

Watermelon Feta Salad {Recipe}

Summer is most definitely upon us and I have absolutely NO desire to want to turn on the oven. If you are in 100+  weather can you blame me?

So I've been really excited to try some summer salad recipes. My favorite fruit is watermelon. I remember as a child eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It's just a super sweet treat that I enjoy. I've also discovered feta cheese. I know, I'm super late to the party.  So when I discovered a marvelous recipe for a watermelon feta salad from Shauna Niequist book, Bread and Wine, I knew I HAD to try it.

{Recipe}
Ingredients:
8 cups watermelon, cubed
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled

10 ounces arugula
3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
1/4 of a red onion, finely chopped
2 limes
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

Instructions:
Cube 8 cups of watermelon, and let the cubes marinate in the juice of one fresh squeezed lime for several hours.

Vinaigrette:
Combine the fresh squeezed lime juice and zest from the remaining lime, white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar, and olive oil. At serving time, toss arugula with half the vinaigrette, and combine watermelon, feta, red onion, and fresh mint. Layer the watermelon mixture over the arugula, and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.


Serves: 6 to 8

If you have any potluck or BBQ's coming up this salad is perfect! Let me know how you like it.
What is your favorite summer meal? Maybe I'll add it to my meal planning for August.

from my kitchen,

Danielle

No comments :

Post a Comment